Canon Collins Trust in partnership with Sol Plaatje Educational Project seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society.
In 2015 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. We now offer scholarships only to those studying in three areas:
- Justice, which includes Law, Economics, Politics and the Environment
- Education: policy and practice
- Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
In 2022, climate justice will be a priority. Climate Justice related scholarship applications may be in a science or applied science field as long as the application can demonstrate its relevance to climate justice related matters.
Applications for courses that are not within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences) will be rejected.
Are you eligible?
To be considered for a scholarship under this programme you must:
- be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
- be normally resident in one of the above countries
- be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- be studying or applying to study at a South African university
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
What we offer
In 2021, the value of the scholarship package will range from R20,000 to R100,000 depending on student circumstances. We support both full and part-time Masters and PhD level study at a South African university and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
How to apply
Applications open on Wednesday 30th June 2021. The deadline for applications is at 15:00 BST on Mon, 9th August 2021.
Late applications will not be considered.